Tattoo The Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Custom only artists

+4
Admin
mschf3
1TattooMan
JustAlan
8 posters

Go down

Custom only artists Empty Custom only artists

Post  JustAlan Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:18 pm

Any tattoo artist (or tattooist I guess) who puts down doing flash work is a fookin' punk. I'm not saying if all you do is custom you're wrong or even who I'm talking about. But someone who is going to put down a shop for having flash or refuse to do a flash piece because they are better than that..... I'm just saying that flash was and is a major part of what tattooing in America is. That was a a way of networking, getting your name out there and when you got your first sheet of flash done was one of the first milestones of your career. Kind of like your first (unjacked up) magnum needle grouping. These same punks probably couldn't tell you anyone in our history except Sailor Jerry and Don Hardy. Ask them who Greg Irons was. Or Owen Jensen, Bill Jones, Bert Grimm or Paul Jeffries. Mention Huck Spaulding and I bet all they know is a supply company. How many of them can tune their own machine? I'm all for custom pieces and furthering the artistic side of the industry, very much so. But Cherry Creek and before that Tattoo Brand flash paid my bills while these "custom only" elitists were still jammin to n-synch and rubbin' one off to Dad's playboy from his sock drawer.
JustAlan
JustAlan

Coolness Points : 10826

http://www.myspace.com/devils_due_tattoo

Back to top Go down

Custom only artists Empty Re: Custom only artists

Post  1TattooMan Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:24 pm

I think Hulk Smash said once " Sometimes we makes art sometimes we makes money" I try to learn from every piece I do no matter how small or cheesey it may be.
1TattooMan
1TattooMan

Coolness Points : 10865

Back to top Go down

Post  mschf3 Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:00 pm

Since you brought up tiny - what's with that? I LOVE most of the epic, full back/sleeve/leg stuff, but it really doesn't fit in my lifestyle right now. I have two tattoos, one on my wrist that is about 1.5 inches around and a phoenix on my back that's probably 7-8 inches around. I'd love to get something VERY tiny behind my ear, and maybe a couple other small "embellishments" - but I want them to be great - not just the same old same old. It seems like big is great, small sucks in the tattoo world. How does one find someone who excels in tiny stuff?
mschf3
mschf3

Coolness Points : 10846

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:58 pm

Ben Grillo, and Anil Gupta do amazing tiny pieces..

Admin
Admin

Coolness Points : 10849

https://tattoothenation.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  sunsetsunrise Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:30 am

as an enthusuasts point of view work is work.

I can see why some artists (especially new ones) prefer custom work as they may find that the best outlet for their creativity. they may feel that sticking to flash will not help them grow and progress as an artist.

then again, you can always take some basic flash and make it your own. all depends on what the client wants. gots to get paid
sunsetsunrise
sunsetsunrise

Coolness Points : 10802

http://www.myspace.com/antwhiting

Back to top Go down

Post  jchristianreed Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:18 am

If there's enough demand for your "custom" work, I say go for it. But certainly shouldn't be putting down others who do flash. After all, you spend years doing it before building up a loyal clientel. I'd like to be "custom only" some day, but not until I've done a few more years and built up my name more.
jchristianreed
jchristianreed

Coolness Points : 10878

http://www.jchristianreedtattoo.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jtother Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:46 am

nothing wrong with good flash, but I prefer to do custom at every opportunity
jtother
jtother

Coolness Points : 10824

Back to top Go down

Post  hellustrious Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:39 pm

There is no flash at my husbands shop. Before there was flash, there was only custom. He doesn't put down flash shops, though. Actually, Jason doesn't really put down ANYBODY.
hellustrious
hellustrious

Coolness Points : 10985

http://www.myspace.com/ssltybtch7

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down